November 29, 2004
You will never leave us even as we say goodbye
When D started to talk about staying on the bus and letting her know if anyone is thinking of alighting from the bus, it never occurred to me that it would be her. I only found out from Zie today that we are going to lose a very talented and excellent teacher.
I looked so much forward to working with her in the English Department. She's one great role model and teacher that I know I can definitely learn a lot from. It's indeed my loss.
Two things she said to me, even though it was not within her job to, truly left an impression on me. Even today, when I am tired and demoralised with work (sure, it happens), her encouragement reverberates with comfort.
1. Don't take things too personally. Nobody (the students) is against you. It's not you; it's just that it's your turn.
2. Being firm is really not so much about how far you can push. It's about being consistent in your expectations so that they (the students) know there is no point trying to push their luck.
She's the kind of teacher you don't have to personally work with to respect. Don't know why she decided to leave, doesn't matter anymore too. Asked her about her plans, she said special ed will never leave her. Thank goodness for that!
Byebye, Mee Len. You will be missed in Pathlight.
Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 16:27